Saturday, September 4, 2010

Vampire Mania Amazes Masses Once Again

I've spent a lot of time in bookstores over the past few months. As I've perused the shelves before and after my book signings, I've noticed that the major theme seems to be Vampires. I've even had folks come up and ask me if I was the Twilight author because of my novel's title "Moon Dance". I'm sorry to say I've had to disappoint quite a few when I denied this honor. I've thought of saying "Of Course" because there are scenes that take place at "twilight " within the pages of my book, but I honestly couldn't do it.
I've realized that in any industry there is only so much that can be written about or designed in any given era. And in this era the pattern appears to have fallen back to the late 1960's/early 1970's with "Dark Shadows" revisited, peasant apparel, and hip hugger/tattered jeans. When I was a teen everyone was crazy about vampires - Dracula was resurrected, Dark Shadows held everyone in it's clutches, and Michael Landon came off as a pretty sexy werewolf. This was not the first round of vampire mania. The legend has held young audiences spellbound for centuries.
I remember one of my girlfriends who literally broke down and cried if she missed an episode of the vampire soap opera Dark Shadows. There wasn't any way to record episodes back then, so if you missed the show, there was no going back. Everyone was so infatuated with the mysterious Barnabas Collins. I hate to admit it, but I just followed along because my friends all watched the show. I had a dreadful fear that a real vampire might enter my bedroom and drain my body of all it's blood as I slept.
Nowadays there exist that same infatuation for the boys in the twilight series. I haven't read the books yet, but once again all my friends and family have. I think somewhere in the back of my mind lurks that vampire from Bram Stoker's novel "Dracula", and I'm still somewhat afraid I'm going to wake up and hear, "I want to drink your blood."
There must be something really wrong with me because I just can't find romance in the living dead.Go figure!

No comments:

Post a Comment